This course is an introduction to the importance of cultural competence to include the many dimensions of diversity, recognizing diversity exists and how it has shaped the lives of our clients, and learning how to challenge our own biases to be able to establish culturally competent client management. Participants of this course will identify strategies to break cultural barriers so that they can give clients the appropriate direction and realistic resources. Level of learner for this course would be beginning practitioners.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Recognize the multiple dimensions of diversity, such as age, class, culture, disability, ethnicity, etc.
- Recognize the importance of diversity in shaping the life experiences of people.
- Identify personal biases and values to minimize their influence on relationships with people who are different.
- Apply a strategy for challenging unconscious biases.
- Recall at least 1 characteristic or behavior related to a diverse group.
- Demonstrate understanding of the skills that contribute to cultural competence.
- Identify strategies that contribute to cultural competence.